- Kathy Gilley’s students are noted for raising money to fight pancreatic cancer in this article on the NBC-TV affiliate web site out of Toledo, OH. Kathy had the cancer five years ago and her students wanted to do something special to honor her recovery.
- Duane Hudson comments on the role of respiratory therapists in the pulmonary rehab program at his hospital in this article in the Evansville, IN, Courier & Press.
- Leo Pollock is quoted in this article in the Elmira, NY, Star-Gazette about the retirement of a Catholic nun who served as long time CEO of his hospital. “I think Sister did a very nice job,” he said. “She led us through the tough spots.”
- Bernie Colclasure is noted for receiving the McAuley Award from his hospital in this article in the Savannah, GA, Morning News. “His desire is for the patients to receive the best care possible and for our staff members to be the best that they can possibly be,” said the co-worker who nominated him. “He not only champions for those who are less fortunate, he will also come to the aid of just about anyone or thing that is in need.”
- Bob McCoy and Joe Lewarski comment on a new oxygen conserver study in this article in HME News.
- Matt Anders cites the AARC’s Medicare Respiratory Therapy Initiative as one way to ease the coming shortage of primary care physicians in the comments section following this article on the CBS News web site.
- Michigan State Representative Dian Slavens comments on legislation she introduced into the state legislature to curb medical misconduct and stop the spread of infectious diseases in this article on the Associated Newspapers of Michigan web site. According to the article, the bill has passed the Senate and is to be signed into law by the governor. “I worked as a respiratory therapist in Southeast Michigan hospitals for over 20 years, and I know how important it is to practice proper medical procedures to prevent the spread of potentially fatal diseases,” said Slavens, a member of the House Health Policy Committee.
- Darren Flott is noted for winning his hospital’s “Kiss a Pig” contest, held to raise money for the facility’s Relay for Life team, in this article in the Atmore Advance out of Alabama. Click on the link to see a picture of Darren puckering up for the big event.
- Speaking of Relay for Life, Mary Yacovone, Cindy Pallot, and Lauren Furnkase comment on RT students who raised money for teams at Youngstown State University in this article in the college newspaper, The Jambar.
Back row, from left to right, are Mary Yacovone, Andrew Wiesen, Lauren Furnkase, Myron Drissen, and Kimber Haug. In front are Cindy Pallott, Ashley Fox, and Jamie Epperson.
- Jackie Richards talks about her asthma camp for kids in this article in the Henderson, IN, Gleaner. “The children learn things like how to manage their asthma, how to take their medicine, what can cause their asthma to get worse, and ways to cope with feeling different because they have this chronic condition,” she was quoted as saying.
- Kathy Short comments on a diagnostic catheter from CareFusion featuring “mini” bronchial-alveolar lavage technology in this article on UPI.com.
- Clyde M. Deloach writes a column about a former co-worker in this article in the South Boston, VA, News and Record.
- Bob Swatzell and his students at Coahoma Community College are featured in this article in the Clarksdale, MS, Press-Register about a “Ventilator Build-Off” contest Bob holds every year to teaching critical thinking skills. “You are being trained to think and to become an advocate for patients,” he tells his students.
And here are the latest facilities to earn the AARC’s Quality Respiratory Care Recognition–
- Trover Health System’s Regional Medical Center in this article on SurfHopkins.com out of Kentucky.
- Brunswick Community Hospital in this article in the Cape Fear Business News out of North Carolina.
- Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center in this article on the South Carolina Now web site.