- Susan McQuade explains what’s involved in asthma diagnosis and treatment in this article in the Reporter News out of Abilene, TX. “There’s usually inflammation in the airways, there’s a lot of mucus built up, and there’s tightening of the muscles around the airways,” she was quoted as saying.
- Beth Urban’s latest graduating class is pictured in this article in the Marion Country, IL, Observer. The class recently had its pinning ceremony.
- Pictures from a ceremony honoring the graduates of Army Chaves’ program are highlighted in this article on the Community College of Rhode Island website.
- Veronica Gates explains what went into her bid for a smoke free campus at her school in this article in the Worcester, MA, Telegram & Gazette. "I felt like a lobbyist. I couldn't believe all the steps I had to take," she was quoted as saying.
- Bob DeLorme touts his graduates’ success on the RRT exams in this article on the Gwinnett Technical College website. "This is the fourth year in a row that our program has earned a 100 percent pass rate,” he was quoted as saying. Bob credits faculty members Larry Arnson, Nadya Khoja, Kiley Hodge, and Megha Patel for preparing the students well.
- The AARC’s recent press release quoting Tom Kallstrom and Sam Giordano on the death of Sen. Frank Lautenberg was picked up by the Sacramento, CA, Bee. Tom and Sam highlighted the role the AARC played in furthering the senator’s legislation to ban smoking on commercial airliners.
- Luke Premo is pictured conducting a spirometry test on a fifth grader in this article in the Wisconsin Rapids Tribune. He and several of his co-workers recently donated their time to go to an elementary school to screen the children for asthma.
- Faye Dickerson raises awareness of COPD, especially among women, in this article in the Des Moines, IA, Register. “It’s a real insidious onset for most people,” she was quoted as saying.
- Tim Curtis marvels at the accomplishments of one of his young patients, who just graduated from high school and is heading to college despite being ventilator-dependent, in this article on YourNewsNow.com out of New York. "For her to graduate from high school and go off to college and live there, that's just amazing,” he was quoted as saying.
- Jennifer Small is noted for earning her master’s degree in business administration in this article on newsitem.com. An RT for 13 years at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, PA, she has now joined the hospital’s Division of Quality and Safety.
- Virginia Landers is pictured with a couple of her pulmonary rehabilitation patients in this article in the Morris, IL, Daily Herald. The program just added a Phase 3 maintenance component that will allow patients to continue to exercise even after the formal program is over.
And here’s another long list of facilities that have gotten great press for receiving Quality Respiratory Care Recognition from the AARC –
- Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital in this article on the Sutter Health website. (Click on the link for a great picture of some of the staff.)
- Evangelical Community Hospital in this article on NorthcentralPA.com. “The QRCR designation of Evangelical’s Respiratory Therapy Program shows the commitment the therapists and the Hospital as a whole devote to those who need help in keeping their hearts and lungs working at the best possible level,” department director Susan Telmanik-Schwartz was quoted as saying.
- Southwest Idaho Advanced Care Hospital in this article in the Idaho Statesman.
- Landmark Hospital of Athens in this article in the Athens, GA, Banner-Herald.
- Sanford Luverne Medical Center in this article on the hospital website.
- Saint Agnes Medical Center in this article on the hospital website.
- FutureCare, for its three Progressive Pulmonary Care Programs, in this article on the company website.
- Vidant Beaufort Hospital and Vidant Medical Center in this article on DareCountryNOW.com out of Greenville, NC. Department directors Alene Warden and Skip Bangley applauded their staffs for making it happen. Said Skip, “I am very proud of the respiratory care practitioners and their never-ending passion to do the right thing every time.”
- Ambassador Health System’s short-term rehabilitation facilities in Lincoln and Omaha in this article in Strictly Business out of Lincoln, NE.
- Des Peres Hospital in this article in the Kirkwood, MO, Patch. (Great staff photo available here too.)
- St. Landry Extended Care Hospital in this press release on 4-traders.com.
- Southampton Hospital in this article on 27east.com out of New York State.