Apply For The Office Spirometry Certificate (OSC)
The program is $55.
Requirements And Qualifications
The program requires the following steps to complete:
- Provide documentation of training or experience related to simple office spirometry.
- Pass an online written exam.
- Submit satisfactory tracings from patient session for review.
Once the steps are completed, a certificate will be issued and is valid for 1 year. The candidate will be required to submit an additional set of tracings each year to demonstrate continuing high quality of testing.
Applying To The OSC Program
Once you have determined that you meet the qualifications to take the exam, you may apply to the program. Once you have created an account, you need to send your verification of qualifications. Download the verification of qualifications form.
If you do not meet the qualifications at this time, you may still apply to the program, but you may not proceed to the test.
About The OSC Exam
The exam consists of 40 questions, including video clips of patient testing sessions. The test content covers the following areas:
- Reasons for spirometry testing — 10%
- Test preparation — 20%
- Patient instruction — 10%
- Testing performance — 20%
- Assessment of patient effort — 20%
- Recognition of artifacts and other factors contributing to inaccurate test results — 20%
Once the written test is passed, the candidate will be required to submit tracings from 10 spirometry sessions. The tests will be reviewed for quality. If the sessions demonstrate good quality, a certificate will be issued, valid for one year. The certificate may be renewed annually following the submission of 10 additional spirometry sessions.